About 10% of the population is left-handed, and the main reason for this is still unknown. Yet, researchers believe that there is a link between the environment and human genes.
Left-handed individuals most often come from a family which contains a leftie.
The functions of the brain in left-handed and right-handed people are different, and lefties are often more independent than right-handed people.
Here are 24 facts about lefties you probably didn’t know:
- The term ‘left’ comes from the Anglo-Saxon word ‘lyft”, which meant “ broken and weak”.
- There are about 30 million lefties in the US.
- Around 5 and 10% of the world population is left-handed.
- They have a special day, which is on 13th August 13th- the International Left-Hander`s Day.
- Animals can be left-pawed too.
- 1 out of the 4 Apollo astronauts was left-handed.
- Left-handed people use the right brain part.
- This feature runs in the family. For instance, Queen Mother, Queen Elizabeth II, Prince Charles, and Prince William, were all left-handed.
- 4 out of 7 states in the United States are left-handed.
- Almost all notorious killers in human history were lefties, like Osama bin Laden, Boston Stranglers, and Jack the Ripper.
- They reach puberty 5 months later than right-handed people.
- Left-handedness has been linked to musicality, creativity, criminal, neurosis, criminal, and homosexuality.
- Scientists found that they learn to use the right hand more quickly after their dominant hand has been injured, in comparison to right-handed people.
- They are good at maths, architecture, and spatial awareness.
- They are good at boxing, swimming, baseball, and tennis.
- Women that give birth in the 40s are at 128% higher risk of giving birth to a left-hander.
- These people are more prone to asthma and allergies.
- About 40% of the most famous tennis players in the world are lefties.
- They see more clearly underwater than right-handed people.
- They are more susceptible to insomnia.
- There is a link between “left-handedness” and alcohol consumption, and these people have a 3% higher risk of becoming addicted to alcohol.
- Left-handed college graduates have an increased chance of becoming richer in life by 26%.
- They express emotions in a different way due to the accelerated information processing.