We often live life without being aware of the importance of the present moment, and we often overlook the value of every single experience we go through life.
Even though we all want to live life with no regrets, we tend to stick to the limits imposed by society, our close ones, our own personality, ethics, other people’s expectations, and so on.
Karl Pillemer, a gerontologist at Cornell University, and author of “30 Lessons for Living: Tried and True Advice from the Wisest Americans” interviewed 1,500 people older than 65 about the things they regret the most when it comes to their choices in life. After these conversations, he said:
“If you get to the end of your life with no regrets at all, you probably haven’t lived that interesting a life. But they can’t believe how people waste their time. Petty fights, resentments, and worry.”
Here are some of the things you will probably regret when you’re older:
- Letting society define you and stop you from chasing your dreams.
- Caring too much about what others think
- Not standing up for yourself
- Not listening to your parents’ advice- Apparently, our parents are usually our best advisors, as we are the most important people in their lives, so make sure you are patient to hear what they have to say.
- Not trying hard enough in school
- Staying at a terrible job, as it will kill your stimulus and enthusiasm
- Being self-absorbed
- Not taking up a hobby
- Not reading enough, as books expand our knowledge, vocabulary, and mind
- Clinging to people who hurt you, because they do not deserve you by their side
- Quitting early, so make sure you always finish what you started
- Not volunteering enough
- Staying in a bad relationship, since it is a complete waste of time, and you will realize it as soon as you leave the partner.
- Not using sunscreen, as this might cause serious skin damage, moles, wrinkles, and even skin cancer.
- Being afraid to say “I love you”, as it is important to be brave enough and express your feelings.
- Holding grudges, as it will just accumulate negative energy in your life
- Not learning how to cook
- Being afraid of change as changes actually bring about improvements and greater opportunities in life.
- Not learning another language, as it is a way to expand your knowledge and learn about other cultures, history, and customs.
- Putting others’ dreams before your own
- Working too much, because you need to enjoy life first
- Thinking you don’t need friends, as friends are always needed to support you, help you, motivate you, and cheer you up
- Not traveling when you had the chance, because as time goes by, it will be harder to leave everything and go around the world.
- Not exercising, since regular exercise keeps the body strong and healthy.
- Not risking, because risks can drastically improve your life
- Worrying too much- stress seriously endangers health.
- Not appreciating the moment
- Not spending enough time with loved ones, because there will be times when your loved ones won’t be around and you will miss them terribly
- Getting caught up in drama, because it drains your energy
- Not being grateful
Yet, after reading this, you get another chance to change. It is never too late to do the right thing!