“To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
The society we live in is critical, and people often feel forced to satisfy certain standards in order to be perceived as better. Yet, those “norms” are actually not realistic, as we are all unique and different, and cannot live our life as others believe we should.
There is absolutely no reason to feel ashamed or guilty for the way you choose to live your life, and you need to learn to accept who you are. In the end, what is important is whether you find your happiness in life.
Therefore, here are 12 things you should never be ashamed of:
- Who you spend time with- You are the one who chooses your friends and romantic partners, and no one has the right to judge you.
- Your past: Everyone makes mistakes, and trials are just lessons that bring experience and wisdom. Learn from your mistakes, but never live obsessed with them, as the past is behind you, and you now need to create a happier life.
- Time for self-care: The hectic lifestyles often force us to neglect ourselves, but it is very important to find time to dedicate to yourself only
- Your eating habits: People can be sensitive about their food, but what you really need to do is to listen to your own body, and it will tell you what it needs.
- Showing emotions- Don’t be ashamed to express how you feel, and you will be less prone to negativity and manipulation
- Hope: If you are a dreamer, you are lucky. Feel free to hope and believe, and such positive thinking has numerous benefits.
- Your work and income- Your career is your choice, and even though you will often receive advice or attacks about your choices, just follow what you love, and never get discouraged.
- Striving to give your best: Following your dreams requires a lot of energy, time, and efforts, so don’t feel ashamed if you are doing your best to achieve your goals.
- Positive thinking- No one can predict the future, and you will be much happier in life if you hope for the best instead of feeling anxious about what tomorrow can bring.
- Forgiveness- You will not benefit from holding grudges, so don’t be ashamed to forgive and move on. Just let go and avoid the effects of negativity.
- Being true to yourself: Live a life true to yourself, and you will never regret it. Don’t follow other people’s expectations, and be brave enough to follow your own dreams.
- Your natural self- The beauty standards that mark certain era change over time, so you should never be ashamed of the way you look, as everyone is beautiful in a unique way and no one is perfect.
According to Life Hack:
“When it comes to being yourself, there can be a lot of pressure from the outside world as it tries to influence who you are. Living in a society that is constantly developing, it’s important for you to always be yourself from the inside out.
When you deeply know yourself and the boundaries that you have set, you are more likely to experience a fulfilling and rewarding life. Without knowing yourself and establishing those boundaries, you can easily be pushed around and end up on a dirt path.
You have the option of taking the path that is broad or taking the path that is narrow. You can either conform to what life wants you to be or have the courage to remain true to yourself throughout the years.
It’s definitely a challenge to have a strong sense of self when we are constantly getting distracted and being influenced by the media and society’s way of life. But if you want to reach your fullest potential in life, it all starts with being yourself.”
Sting put this all simply: “Be yourself, no matter what they say. “